Monday, July 28, 2014

A Childhood Dream


As a kid, i often used to dream of magically teleporting myself to a place far removed from home. A place with no rules and no restrictions. A place where my i don't have my mother at my back all day or my brother dragging me to my room to clean up.

I'd dream of going to a magical place where everyone is my age and there was all the time in the world to play.

I'd dream of vast fields of green and jungles so dense that those i read in books would seem like a well maintained pasture.

I'd dream of cities so densely developed that the sky was blocked out and the vehicles left no room for walking across.

I'd also dream of cities with so little population that the roads were empty most of the time and there were open grounds for me to play in.

I'd dream of deserted hills and arid deserts, of lush oasis and vast seas, of boats and islands galore.

Now, years later, I started travelling across a few places in India and its neighbors and the sights they hold astound and amaze me. The diversity of thought and differences in perspective leave me spellbound. 

Every time i travel from one place to another, a feeling of illusion creeps in, a feeling that the bus/train/plane i'm in is that teleporting machine that i dreamed of, and that the place i was in was just that, since all that remains for me are memories, and the place i go towards is the place i wake up in.

Memory: Noun
  1. the faculty by which the mind stores and remembers information.


Sometimes wish that i could stay at each place i've been to and keep them from turning into memories, but then, that wouldn't be travelling, would it?

Here's hoping to find more places that i regret leaving.

























Language and the internet

Language evolves. The pace of the evolution is dependent on the frequency of its use. For much of its history, the written word has followed...