Thursday, November 28, 2013

Impromptu #4 - Another Random Post



Seemingly a lot of my recent writings have been random thoughts with little substance to think about and this is another post to add to that lot. Probably something that isn’t all that surprising considering I have my final exams for the sem coming up. My last few days have been sort of morose, the last minute rush of assignments, the farewells for the seniors and for good or for bad, the Diary of Anne Frank keeping me up at night are seemingly taking their toll.

My time on the laptop has also shot up recently, not just because of my assignments but because of a game that I’ve recently started playing. DOTA 2. This game is fabulously crafted with 104 ‘hero’s’ each of whom has a unique background and skill set with none of them being under or overpowered,  An amazing feat in and of itself. Add to this, heart stopping graphics and absorbing music and the end result is a game capable of stealing days of a person’s life before they realize it. The gameplay is challenging and has a steep learning curve, add contrary to expectations; this causes the excitement to build up rather than wane. My friend ends up spending well over 5 hours a day playing this before he calls it a day.  
An amazing game, and one I wish I had not started.


Bidding farewell to our seniors during the first two years felt sad, with a little emotion creeping in for the fact that I won’t be meeting them again for a while but this year, it was different. I don’t claim that I get very emotional nor that im very stoic at farewells but this time, the seniors were just an year senior to us and ones whom we knew extremely well. Besides that, there was an overpowering feeling of a grim reaper standing behind my ear whispering ‘You’re time is coming soon’, not in terms of mortality but a feeling close to it, that our time in the womb of this college might be at end and I sunk into nostalgic thoughts of what I achieved here, and what I wish I had done differently, what I learnt, my PS this summer and what I really ought to be doing instead of playing DOTA.



Reading the Diary of Anne Frank at times like this does not help, take my word on that. The book consisting of a Anne who finds herself doing things, not very productively, in a room hiding from the Nazis and with the building up of tensions within the annex and the omnipresent danger of being found are things which tend to get me fidgety as I read and I’d love to finish the book asap if it weren’t for my exams and assignments which means I always find 
myself at the end of a burning bridge lately. 



Here’s some of the music that’s been keeping me moving around in these low times


Through The Pain - Andar Spindari by Andar Spindari on Grooveshark

Try this if those two are too gloomy,

Castle of Glass by Linkin Park on Grooveshark

Language and the internet

Language evolves. The pace of the evolution is dependent on the frequency of its use. For much of its history, the written word has followed...